Today is Rosh Hashanah! Rosh Hashanah is the Jewish New Year where we pray to be inscribed in the book of life and to have a happy, healthy new year. Shana Tova is the usual greeting meaning "Happy New Year", just incase you hear it around town. Also, it's traditional to eat apples and honey (for a sweet new year) and a round challa.
Now that I've imparted some sweet sweet Jewish knowledge into your brain, let's move on to the fact that my friend Ashlyn from Fowliters (who has a fabulous blog about marriage and her day to day life - which is amazing and so eloquently written) has given me the "Versatile Blogger Award". This is my very first blogging award and I'd like to give a speech, but due to lack of orchestra to play me off, I'll forego it and just get on with what I'm supposed to do.
The bulk of this award is for me to tell my readers 7 things about myself that I don't really tell everyone (if your one of my bestest friends, you probably already know these things). Then I have to nominate a few bloggers to continue this award of awesome.
Now, let's do this!
1. When I was younger I was extremely jealous of all my friends who had siblings. So, to compensate for my only child-ness I made up a brother. I used to tell people that he was from my dad's first marriage and that he was a bad seed who goes to military school in Washington. Well, my dad has only ever been married to my mom, I don't have a brother, and I'm pretty sure Washington doesn't have a military boarding school (I could be wrong about that though).
2. I absolutely loathe the nick name Jessie. Why? I'm not sure, but I won't answer to it. I will answer to: Jessica, Jess, Snellings, J. Snell, closet freak, Rubber Duckie, 36, stinky, cookie face/doodle, and baldy bean (though the last three are reserved for my family only).
3. Due to the 8 surgies I have had on my hip, my jaw is horribly misaligned. I tend to be able to make it look straight when I smile, but it is bad enough that my dentist and orthodontist wanted to break my jaw to realign it.
4. I've been to Las Vegas at least 3 times, but I have never gambled there. My parents even went 20 days before my 21st birthday.
5. I am an anglophile. You probably know this, but really..if I don't live in the UK for some period of time in my life, I will have failed myself. I watch mostly British TV, I shop online at UK stores, I swoon for accents, I love curries/Indian food, I would take a cup of tea over coffee any day, and well I could keep going on and on...
6. I hate the beach, but love pools. Sand, under toe, jerk faces who knock over sand castles, super strong sun, 'nuff said.
7. I've never seen Fight Club - don't make me try and see it, I'd like to read the book first.
So anything surprising? Probably not...I share a lot and have few secrets.
Now I nominate:
Jess from Animated Cardigan. She is hilarious with what she writes and a wizz at dressing herself. Now most people might think "how can you be a wizz at dressing yourself?" Well, most people can put on their own clothes, most people cannot put on their own clothes and make themselves look good.
Nicole from Nicole Mueller. I've known this loverly artist since 6th grade. I have 2 coloring book pages, 1 AP art show invite, 1 get well card, and 1 huge awesome abstract sunflower painting from her. I'm amazed to see how she grows as an artist. First from doing mixed media family portraits to now doing amazing abstract animations.
Cari from Blue Girl's Purple World. I met her..about a month or so ago(?) thanks to twitter and hating Crohn's. Now we share a doctor and a disease! She's one person who really knows what I'm going through and when my hands randomly go numb or my joints lock up she gets it. Plus she's learning to be a big ole nerd, a nerdling if you will =]
All of these ladies are lovely. Check them out along with Ashlyn!
Back to our regularly scheduled program in my next post. Until then...